Unless you’ve been living under a rock for the past few months you, by now, are aware that the AIA National Convention will be in Denver next week! You may also have noticed that this national event has taken over our blog for the past several weeks. To say that we are excited is an understatement. Many of us, as a part of AIA Colorado, have been working for the past year to making this the best convention ever! We are proud members of AIA Colorado. We are excited to show off our great city. We’re thrilled to welcome you all with big open arms to our beautiful state. So, in preparation for your visit here next week I thought it would be appropriate for me to dedicate my final blog post before the convention to what I like to call Convention 101 – Everything you need to know in 500 words or less!
Social Media – AIA National, AIA Colorado and its members have made a commitment to use social media before, during, and after the convention to help attendees get up-to-date news about events and happenings at the convention and around the city. Want to know where to go for happy hour? How about a suggestion for dinner? Interested in who’s speaking at Architect Live? Check out the follow Facebook and Twitter accounts to get the most information!
- “Like” AIA Colorado on Facebook!
- Follow these people on Twitter:
Don’t miss these events – With so many events happening in three short days, it’s hard to keep them all straight! Here are a few highlighted events that you DON’T want to miss!
- Thursday, June 20 @ 6:00 pm – Join AIA Colorado at Rock Bottom Brewery as Brew Master John McClure taps an exclusive custom beer – Building Bock. Free samples will be given out during the taping celebration. During the convention, pick up a coaster at the Host Chapter Lounge (booth 919) and then stop by Rock Bottom for a free pint of Building Bock.
- Friday, June 21 @ 7:00 pm – Don’t miss out on the convention party! Infinite Energy: AIA Colorado Host Chapter Party promises to be the best Host Chapter Party to date. Experience everything that Colorado has to offer – food trucks and craft beer, performance artists, and so much more! Held on the lawn at the Denver Performing Art Complex, you will get find an endless range of Colorado inspiration. Don’t miss this event!
- Friday, June 21 @ 9:00 pm – What’s a party without an After Party? Attend the Friday night after party at Studio Loft AIAnnex, a pop-up lounge designed, in the historic Ellie Caulkins Theater right next to the Convention Center. This happy hour is free and open to everyone! I hope you join the Associates Committee of AIA Denver at this event as well as other Emerging Professionals!
Convention Sessions you MUST attend – I can’t end this blog without plugging the AIA Colorado Emerging Professionals! On Saturday at 8:30 am I will be presenting along with 3 of my fellow Emerging Professionals – Nathan Gulash, Adam Hillhouse, and Megan Kullerd Hohnholt! Our presentation, Do You Know Your Emerging Professionals will dissect characteristic traits of the EP’s in today’s work space, unpack the realities and challenges that EPs face in today’s architectural practice, discuss the different employment opportunities available to EPs, and why mentoring is so important to us. I hope you attend our sessions (SA 216)!!!! After our presentation, we will be answering questions at the Architect Live booth on the Expo floor.